Shakira is one of the very few popstars in the music industry whose relationships do not last for just a few months. Take her fellow Latina artist, J.Lo, for example, who has dated many men throughout her career.
Not that having a long list of exes is anything bad, but it is refreshing to see that there are still some celebs out there who are not afraid of long-term commitments – and our girl the Colombian singer Shakira is one of them.
As of the moment, Shakira is still dating her boyfriend Gerard Piqué – emphasis on the boyfriend, folks. Shakira and Gerard are not yet married! They have been together ever since 2011 and share two sons, Milan and Sasha.
If you’re not a football fan by any chance, you may not be familiar with the name Gerard Piqué. But just so you know, he’s an extremely famous and well-respected player in that sport. So, if you’re interested to learn more about Shakira’s long-term boyfie, keep reading!
Gerard Piqué: Things You Need To Know About Shakira’s Current Partner
Gerard Piqué is a Spanish-born football star who is infamous for being one of the best central defenders of his generation.
Whenever he’s on the field, you can count on his impressive defensive techniques to prevent the opposing team from ever scoring a goal. His unparalleled skills are exactly what opened many doors for Piqué in his professional career as a football player. Just take a look at all his achievements:
- Three-time FIFA Club World Cup Winner (played for FC Barcelona)
- Won the first-ever FIFA World Cup trophy for Spain in 2010 with the national team
- Won the first-ever UEFA Euro League trophy for Spain in 2012 with the national team
- Four-time Champions League winner (for FC Barcelona and Manchester United)
- Eight-time winner of Spanish championship
- Seven-time winner of Spanish Cup competitions
- Six-time winner of Spanish Super Cup competitions
- Won the first-ever European Under-19 Championship in 2006 with the national team
- Three-time UEFA Super Cup winner (played for FC Barcelona)
- Winner of the English Super Cup competition in 2007 (played for Manchester United)
In other words, Gerard Piqué has won around 34 trophies as a professional football player, making him the 8th most decorated player in the entire history of the sport – and he’s just 35 years old! That means, he still has a lot of time to reach the number one spot.
His passion for the sport goes as far back as 1997, when Piqué was just 10 years of age. He entered the FC Barcelona academy and joined the youngest football team of the club. There, he trained vigorously to enhance his skills and eventually established a reputation for his versatility in the field.
Today, Piqué is still at his prime. While we may no longer see him play in international stadiums following his retirement in 2018, he vows to continue playing domestically and nationally. And as for his love life, it seems that he’s not retiring from being Shakira’s lover any time soon.
Shakira and Gerard Piqué: Their Love Story
Now that you know Gerard Piqué a little bit better, let’s take a peek at his picture-perfect relationship with the Waka Waka singer, Shakira. Here’s a brief timeline of their incredible love story:
- Shakira and Piqué first laid eyes on each other on the set of Shakira’s music video, Waka Waka (This Time For Africa). Pique was there to represent the FIFA World Cup alongside other professional football players.
- Shortly after announcing her split with ex-husband Antonio de la Rúa, Shakira was spotted holding hands with Piqué while leaving a restaurant.
- In March of 2011, Shakira posted a picture of her and Piqué on Twitter with the caption “Les presento a mi sol,” which means “I present to you my sunshine” in Spanish.
- After a year of dating, Shakira announced via Instagram that she and Piqué are expecting their first child together.
- Shakira gave birth to Milan Piqué Mebarak on January 22, 2013.
- During an interview with Glamour, Shakira revealed that she and Piqué have no plans to marry. They are perfectly content with their boyfriend-and-girlfriend relationship.
- In 2015, Shakira gave birth to their second son, Sasha Piqué Mebarak.
As you can see, both Shakira and Gerard love each other unconditionally and are serious about starting their own family together. We are extremely happy for Shak and Piqué. Here’s to another decade in their relationship!